Walker County Medical Malpractice Lawyer

Though most people trust their doctors and care providers, the reality is that incompetence and negligence still occurs. Unfortunately, the resulting injuries could be severe and even life-threatening, leaving a person with a worsened condition and new medical bills.

If you were hurt under the care of a medical professional, a Walker County medical malpractice lawyer may be able to help. After an injury, you might be unable to work and unsure of how to provide. By consulting a knowledgeable and compassionate personal injury attorney, you could take a step back, assess your legal options, and decide how to proceed.

Determining Liability After a Doctor’s Malpractice

Because malpractice can take many forms, it could often be difficult to determine, especially for someone who was recently injured and recovering from trauma. Some examples of potential malpractice include a doctor’s wrongful diagnosis, an infection gained during a hospital stay, the failure of equipment, contaminated medical instruments, and mistakes made during surgery.

For a successful malpractice claim, however, an injured person must be able to demonstrate that a medical professional breached his or her care of duty owed to the claimant—by, for example, neglecting to diagnose a severe condition—and that this neglect directly led to the claimant’s injuries.

Proving this alone may be difficult. Establishing negligence often involves a thorough understanding of the legal system, meaning an injured person could benefit from the counsel and skill of a Walker County medical malpractice lawyer.

What Compensation Can a Person Request in Walker County?

Due to the nature of many medical procedures, malpractice may have devastating and lifelong effects. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Chronic pain
  • Disfigurement
  • Extended or lifelong disease
  • Brain damage
  • Premature death

As a result, a claim for compensation may request recovery for a number of damages, both economic and non-economic. For example, the medical bills required to treat the effects of malpractice may result in a severe financial burden. As a result, a claim may request recovery for these medical costs, as well as for lost wages due to missed time at work and decreased earning capacity. Furthermore, while Georgia places limitations on how much an individual may receive, there may be exceptions to these caps.

However, some losses do not have a definitive price tag and are instead psychological and emotional hardships. A detail-oriented medical malpractice attorney in Walker County could help an injured claimant to assess the extent of his or her damages in order to request adequate compensation. This may include recovery for loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.

The Deadline to File a Medical Injury Claim

It is important for anyone seeking compensation to be aware of the deadlines for filing a claim. Pursuant to Official Code of Georgia Annotated §9-3-71, a person injured from medical malpractice has five years from the date of suffering an injury where he or she may file a claim.

While exceptions may exist for this statute, a claim that misses this deadline may be dismissed. Due to this, a plaintiff may benefit from working with a dedicated and proactive Walker County attorney to try to file a claim that satisfies the statute of limitations.

A Walker County Medical Malpractice Attorney is Here to Help

When a medical professional’s errors cause a person further harm, he or she may be traumatized, overwhelmed, and unsure of how to proceed. If you or a loved one were hurt after a doctor’s mistake, consider contacting a Walker County medical malpractice lawyer to discuss seeking compensation.

Navigating the legal system by yourself may be difficult and overwhelming, but you should not have to shoulder the financial burden of someone else’s mistakes alone. By working with our attorneys, you could focus on your recovery with the knowledge that a steadfast legal professional is working tirelessly to build a claim on your behalf. To discuss your right to take legal action, call us today.