Ringgold Car Accident Lawyer

Georgia is not a no-fault insurance state. In Ringgold, as well as the rest of the state, you must report any car accident to law enforcement if there is an injury or fatality, or property damage greater than $500. All parties must remain on the scene until information of each party, like driver’s license, insurance, contact information, is shared, and assistance is offered to any injured party, including calling an ambulance.

Once the preliminaries are disposed of, the insurance claim process begins. This process can be long and difficult, and you may need to contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney. A Ringgold car accident lawyer could be your advocate throughout the process.

Requirements for Ringgold Drivers

The minimum insurance coverage in Georgia is as follows:

  • $25,000 for property damage
  • $25,000 for the death or injury of one person in an accident
  • $50,000 for death or injury of more than one person in an accident

Information About Car Accident Claims

A claim should include facts about the collision, including traffic conditions, witness statements, and weather conditions to determine who is at fault. In some cases, comparative negligence may be an issue. Comparative negligence refers to the degree to which both parties contributed to the accident. If the injured party was partially responsible for the accident, he or she may still be able to recover compensation, but the amount may be reduced by their percentage of fault. For example, if one driver is 80 percent liable and the other driver is 20 percent liable, the damages awarded are adjusted to those percentages.

It is also important to note that the statute of limitations in Georgia for filing a personal injury lawsuit or property damage claim is two years. Therefore, it is important to act quickly to avoid losing the ability to file a claim.

Car Crash Settlement Process

Most automobile accident lawsuits are settled out of court unless there are extensive injuries. The settlement process can be handled by the two parties’ insurance companies, but it may be in the injured party’s interest to have his or her own Ringgold car accident lawyer. Insurance companies want to keep settlement costs down, even if the fault is clear, therefore, they often try to avoid paying legitimate claims.

Structuring a Damage Claim

Many costs can be considered when developing a claim for general (non-economic) damages, including physical pain, disfigurement or impairment, loss of reputation, mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of companionship, or loss of enjoyment of life.

The general damages award will reflect how permanent the damage is, how difficult it is to treat, and whether it leads to social impairment by confining one to the home or a care facility.

One of the most important reasons to consult a Ringgold car accident lawyer after an auto wreck is because they have the knowledge and experience to understand the long-term effects of an accident and how to structure a damage award that serves the injured party’s needs.

Reaching Out to a Ringgold Car Accident Attorney

Once the settlement is agreed to and damage checks distributed, the settlement cannot be changed after the fact. Therefore, it may be important to speak with Ringgold car accident lawyer who could evaluate your claim and determine the right strategy to maximize your damage award, so you can get back to your life. Call today to learn how we can help you.